Thursday, March 27, 2014


Born Into Coal- I really enjoyed this documentary.  At first when I saw the girls in pageant dress, I thought this was going to be like an episode of Toddlers & Tiaras.  I am very glad this was not the same.  I never really thought as coal mining as a big occupation anymore these days, but I guess it is still a huge job that needs to be done.  I remember when the documentary was talking about the explosion that happened in 2010.  I liked that they would do close ups of the peoples face to show their emotions.  It made me think of how the scene should also make me feel.  I also like that when the people were explaining stuff, instead of just seeing them talking, we saw filler scenes that helped keep to motion of the movie going.  One scene that really stood out to me was when the camera did a close up of the dad’s black coal stained fingernails then a close up to his daughters black manicure nails.  It kind of showed how they were different but somewhat still the same.  I like how the documentary starts with the pageant, cuts to the main part the documentary wanted to bring up, the coal miner and their family, then back to the pageant to shower her win.  I think it kind of showed her journey to winning without seeing the actual pageant by showing why she wanted to win so badly.  The edits were also very clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment